BCVision is a community-driven movement for change in Battle Creek, Michigan, focused on creating a place where we can all live, work and play. Our goal is to create a thriving community where there is equitable opportunity for residents to have the income, education and resources they need to be successful.
This long-term community economic development initiative is designed to address the most critical challenges impacting Battle Creek’s future: jobs, talent development and creating a culture of vitality.
These were the most pressing issues identified by thousands of community members who provided input and quickly became the over-arching goals guiding BCVision’s work since launching in 2015.
BCVision Guiding Principles
- Transform our community: Commit to community change for the benefit of all with an emphasis on equity.
- Plan and work together: Involve key stakeholders across sectors; value and leverage community assets.
- Engage all community members as genuine partners.
- Use shared data to set the agenda and improve over time.
- Champion the cause: Be an ambassador for community change.
A Community of Voices
Comprised of residents and individuals representing every sector — public, private, academic and nonprofit — as well as neighborhoods across Battle Creek, the work of BCVision is implemented by a Steering Committee and six Action Teams:
- College & Career Readiness: Ensure all students — regardless of race, gender or socio-economic background — are successful in pursuing careers and life paths that lead to their economic stability.
- Culture of Vitality: Increase civic pride, unity, collaboration, trust and healthy lifestyles among the diverse community members that live, work and play in Battle Creek.
- Kindergarten Readiness: Improve early childhood programs to help every child have a great start; better support parents to ensure children are safe, healthy, prepared and eager to succeed in school and in life.
- Large Business: Collaboration among Battle Creek’s large employers to retain and attract businesses to increase the number of jobs and ensure a strong workforce is connected to these jobs, ultimately resulting in employment for all residents and strong talent for employers.
- Small Business: Make Battle Creek home to a thriving small business economy characterized by an increasing number of successful small businesses and growth in jobs.
- Workforce Development: Provide equitable opportunities for all Battle Creek residents — regardless of race, gender or socioeconomic background — to gain the required skills for permanent jobs that provide both access and visibility into career advancement, as well as lead to family economic security.
The BCVision Steering Committee and Action Teams continue engaging residents and local partners to implement the community-created vision to create a vibrant and equitable Battle Creek.
Now BCVision is inviting YOU to help move Battle Creek forward — be inspired. Contribute your voice and your action to join the movement. Working together, we can bring about change.